SHS Changes Grading Policy

SHS Changes Grading Policy

Rachel Callahan, Features & Cover Story Editor

Stoughton High School has recently enforced a new policy regarding grading late work. Students have ten consecutive school days to get late work submitted, and can only receive up to an 80% if the assignment is late.

Nathan Nelson, a social studies department teacher, says, “While I recognize the need for grace, I also recognize we need to maintain more rigorous standards.”

Late work not only stresses out students, but teachers as well. “I receive work on time maybe 59% of the time,” Nelson says.

This new rule has already had positive effects, after only being in effect for a couple of weeks. “[There is] increased student accountability [and] easier grading,” Nelson says.

Teachers recognize normal school days have changed for students since the pandemic.

“There are no easy solutions. We need to maintain rigor to prepare students for the next level, while also being able to accomodate students whose lives are turned upside down by the pandemic,” Nelson says.

The previous policy accepted all late work, and students could still receive one hundred percent credit. Principal Mike Kruse has worked hard to help students during these times.

“When we were in school, we could go get all the students and have them complete missing work. Online, it is harder to track everyone down,” Kruse says.

Virtual School is just as new to students as it is to staff.

“After a quarter of virtual school, we are learning how to make it better [and] how we can improve the system,” Kruse says.

COVID-19 has affected the way our school runs in many ways. “We will continue to do the best we can,” Kruse says. Assistant Principal, Liz Hrodey, has helped with the new grading changes.

“We’ve made great adjustments,” Hrodey says.

The new policy is expected to help both students and teachers, and students and staff will continue to adapt to our current situation.