Senior Year: Round Two

The class of 2017's advice for high school and beyond

January 28, 2021

High school senior, Meghan Garvin (above), similes as she nears her graduation from UW Milwaukee.

Meghan Garvin

University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee

• What extracurriculars/clubs were you involved in during high school?
    • Student Senate, Volleyball, Soccer, Lead For Life, Dancers, Divine
  • What do you wish you had done differently in high school?
    • I don’t necessarily wish I did anything different, but I wish I would have been kinder to my high school self, and I wish I could back and give her a hug. I also wish I would have known that staying on a high school sports team as someone who only gets to play during practice isn’t worth it. It’s absolutely [not] worth the time or the mental capacity to be 100% invested in something you only get to experience 50% of, especially as a kid.
  • Have your plans for the future changed since high school graduation? (Do you still plan on going into the same profession, has your major changed, etc.)
      • I would say my interests and professional aspirations haven’t changed; they have just become more refined. I started college studying marketing and now I study marketing and women and gender studies.
  • How is college different than you expected?
    • I met some of my absolute best friends in college, but I also live with my high school best friend, Kirsten Sanford. I honestly think it’s hilarious because in high school I never expected or wanted to live with someone I went to high school with in college, and now we’ve lived together for two years.
  • What advice do you wish someone had given you before
    photos used with permission from meghan garvin

going into college?

• I wish I could tell people that the student you were in high school is not determinant to the student you will be in college. I was a horrible student in high school, I never applied myself or paid attention, and that couldn’t be further from who I am now. Also sit on an end seat in lecture halls because you’ll have more leg room.

Senior Year: Round Two

High school senior, Payton Kahl, takes her senior portraits for 2017.

Payton Kahl

Universty of Minnesota- Duluth

• In high school I was involved in basketball, tennis, track and field and Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
    • I wish I would have been even more involved in high school. Join more clubs and teams! Attend games, activities, events, meetings. Don’t miss out on the fun extracurriculars that you can do in high school, those are the things that made high school enjoyable for me and I wish I would have done more!
    • Yes! My plans have changed since coming into college. I was originally majoring in psychology. Now, I am in the business school majoring in Marketing and continuing on to get my MBA after this year.
    • College is different than I expected. There is a lot less actual class meeting time and more on your own work that you have to find motivation to do yourself. I also did not expect to grow so much as a person and learn how to be independent.
  • What advice do you wish someone had given you before going into college?
    • I wish someone would have told me it is completely fine to not know exactly what you want to do the rest of your life going into college. College is the time to see what is out there and find your passion. Don’t feel pressured to have everything figured out when you graduate high school.

Current senior, Payton Kahl awaits graduation from UM Duluth. (photos used with permission from payton kahl)

Senior Year: Round Two

High+school+senior%2C+Madelyn+Falk%2C+poes+in+her+graduation+cap+and+gown+in+2017.+

High school senior, Madelyn Falk, poes in her graduation cap and gown in 2017.

Madelyn Falk

University of Wisconsin Madison

• I was a part of Norwegian Dancers, Dance Team, and Student Senate, and was the Treasurer for my class every year. But I also participated in random activities throughout high school, like Prom Committee, National Honor Society, competitive dance, etc.
    • I was fortunate enough to have a really great high school experience though I wish I would have cherished time with friends a little bit more. I was constantly busy with extracurriculars and usually used my free time to be lazy, when I wish I would have been spending time with my friends and meeting new people.
    • Oh yes! My future plans have changed immensely since high school. I changed my major from Biochemistry to Biology to Pharmaceutical Sciences and back to Biochemistry, until I finally landed on Genetics and Genomics. I thought I wanted to go to Pharmacy School and have since decided to pursue Genetic Counseling. I also discovered I love communicating, marketing, and writing about science and have added a double major, Life Sciences Communication.
    • College is both the hardest but best years of your life. Before college, I never realized I could be so stressed but also so happy, and am so thankful for where I am now. I’ve learned so much in my classes, and even MORE outside of them, and I’ve met the most amazing people. Though I loved high school, I love college more, and I can confidently say I would not be who I am today if I did not attend the University of Wisconsin.
    Now a senior in college, Falk will soon graduate from UW Madison. (photos used with permission from madelyn falk)
    • Set goals for yourself but take it day by day! You want to aim high and strive for success, but it’s okay to be flexible and change what “success” means to you. Getting all “A’s” may mean success to you now, but getting all “B’s” the semester you have a dream internship may mean success to you later. Encourage yourself, be yourself, and forgive yourself.