Why We Need Normalcy

graphic+by+delaney+gauthier+

graphic by delaney gauthier

Delaney Gauthier, Staff Writer

The Phase 3 reopening plan for SASD was put into place here at SHS on April 19. This decision was a controversial one, but one that is necessary. While many have safety concerns, it’s important to recognize that this decision would not have been made if it were too dangerous. 

Transmission numbers at SHS throughout hybrid learning have been very low, and in-person mask policies have been strictly enforced. We will continue to abide by these policies throughout the transition to fully in-person learning, and though social distancing has reduced, three feet is still a safe distance. 

I and many other students have grown increasingly frustrated with the hybrid model of learning. Sitting in front of a computer screen on Zoom meetings for seven hours every day is very draining, and it can be easy to fall behind on virtual days because there’s no obligation to pay attention. I’ve spoken with students who admit that they see their online classes as more of a podcast to listen to while doing something else, rather than something important they need to pay attention to, and many teachers realize this. 

It’s incredibly difficult to teach to a Zoom meeting and to an in-person class at the same time, especially with the hybrid schedule that was formerly in place. Not having to pass out the same papers twice or teach the same lesson over and over will make the rest of the school year go much more smoothly.

There will still be students learning over Zoom, but less virtual learners will be easier on teachers. Going back to fully in-person learning will force students to pay attention and allow teachers to give their all to each class. There will always be some level of risk, but prioritizing learning is important. 

For many people, normalcy never really left, despite a global pandemic seemingly shutting down the world. People continued to visit friends and family, some never even wore masks to begin with, and frontline workers, like healthcare workers or grocery store employees, were generally not sent home to work digitally.

The world never truly came to a halt, and life will have to resume for everyone else eventually. Putting off the return to normal will only cause more harm than good, especially for struggling students. 

The district is trying to prioritize education in a difficult time while keeping student safety in mind. Though it’s risky to go back, risk will always be there. The option to stay completely virtual is available for those who wish to take it, and ultimately, the decision on returning to fully in-person schooling was inevitable. 

Editorial Policy: The Norse Star strives to present the news in a fair and unbiased manner. Any column, editorial, or letter to the editor expresses the opinion of the author and not necessarily the entire staff. The staff editorial does not necessarily reflect the views of the entire staff. The Norse Star is a public forum written and produced by the students at Stoughton High School, and they are solely responsible for its content. Students, staff, faculty, and members of the community are welcome to submit letters to the editor of 300 words or less. Letters may be edited due to space limitations, obscenities, or libel concerns. Norse Star will verify the authenticity of any letters sent on the behalf of school organizations or groups. All letters must be signed and emailed to [email protected]