Schoolwork Isn’t Everything

For many high school students, life never seems to slow down. There is always another assignment, another project, another sport, or another activity to go to every single day. In a perfect world, there would be enough time in a day to do all these things and still get a good eight hours of sleep. However, this is usually not the case.
Most people would agree that homework sucks. It is usually boring and takes up free time. It undoubtedly has its benefits as it allows teenagers to learn how to manage time as well as providing extra practice to help students excel in the classroom. However, there is a line in which it becomes something detrimental. Many students find themselves spending hours a night on various homework assignments and projects, leaving little time for social activities, family time, and time to decompress from the day. This can be harmful for students’ mental health and outlook on their schooling experience. In a study conducted by Stanford University, it was found that too much homework is a primary cause of stress in nearly 99% of students. This stress has been connected to an increase in anxiety, sleep deprivation, weight loss, and burnout in students.
Teenage years are where most people start to find their path and see where the future may take them. Whether your life is filled with schoolwork, sports, or other extracurriculars, it is completely normal to feel overwhelmed when your plate is full. Getting an education is important, however, your mental health is more important. You only have so long to be a kid, so allow yourself to be one every once in a while. As much as you can, take the time to do things for yourself that make you happy and give you time to decompress. If you are feeling overwhelmed with school or life in general, do not be afraid to communicate with friends, family, and your teachers and ask for help.