Bring Back Backpacks?

Art by Emma Phillips

Content warning: The following opinion article discusses instances of unlawful gun usage in schools, as well as mass shootings. If you are in any way unable to read about these events, please skip this article.

The topic of backpack usage at SHS is a widely debated one, especially recently. I believe that backpacks should be kept in lockers all day to promote maximum safety and security for the masses. Over the past few years there have been a number of mass shootings, whether they take place in schools, clubs, or work organizations. Many of these tragedies occurred by the perpetrator pulling a firearm from a backpack or tote bag, which is how they smuggled the weapon unseen. This has caused a discussion about the safety of backpacks in classrooms, and whether it’s more detrimental or convenient to allow the use of bags throughout the day, rather than just as a vessel for bringing school supplies to and from school.
I acknowledge that carrying around bags helps reduce stress for many students, while also preventing the time crunch many people experience by going to and from their lockers between classes. However, many shootings have been carried out by sneaking firearms into the school via backpacks or duffel bags. One example of this occurred in DeKalb County, Georgia. A student brought a gun to McNair High School, and as a result, backpacks were prohibited on campus except to carry supplies to and from the school building.
Of course, preventing tragedies such as shootings isn’t the only reason to veto backpack usage in classrooms. It can also be a safety hazard in smaller ways, such as causing trips or falls to your fellow classmates or teachers. During the 2020-2021 school year, students at SHS were permitted to bring bags to class, which resulted in a few scraped knees, bashed foreheads, and wounded egos. A study conducted by researchers at the Cincinnati’s Children Hospital shows that about 23% of injuries in the 247 kids studied were caused by wearing, taking off, or lifting schoolbags. In addition, it could potentially become a fire hazard in case of an emergency. If an alarm went off and students and staff were forced to quickly evacuate a small area such as a classroom, tripping over bags quickly changes from being inconvenient to being dangerous.
Yet another reason to limit backpack usage is the effect it can have on the spine of the wearers. Studies have shown that the percentage of schoolchildren with lower back pain can range from 25% to 55%, especially among children between the ages of 10 and 15. An experiment conducted by David Siambanes (DO of the Inland Empire Spine Center in Riverside, California) reports 64% of students reporting back pain at some point in their lives. Increasing the time allotted to wear backpacks will worsen the effect on students’ backs, and could cause irreversible damage.
There are many reasons to veto backpack usage in classrooms, and the only redeeming quality of bringing them to class seems to be the convenience. I’m all for eradicating that time crunch as my locker is in the science wing, which is a pain to get to and from without being late for my next class. However, there are numerous safety hazards and health concerns surrounding the usage of backpacks throughout the school day, and if you ask my opinion, the risk simply isn’t worth the reward.

Art by Emma Phillips