Helping Students Grow

photo+illustration+by+bella+patrinos++

photo illustration by bella patrinos

At Stoughton High School, all students are different and have unique learning needs. Learning strategists help students who may learn differently than others, primarily through working individually or in small groups, applying techniques that help address some students’ individual needs outside of class instruction. SHS has many learning strategists who have dedicated their careers to helping others. You may have seen them helping students or just walking the halls of SHS, but some also coach sports and help our school in other ways. Get to know some of SHS’s learning strategists and their interests outside of the classroom.

Name: Avery Lyons

How long have you been teaching?
This is my first full-time position. I recently graduated from Edgewood College in December of 2022.

What do you do at SHS?
I am a learning strategist in the social studies department. This position allows me to work with a wide variety of students and staff here at Stoughton High School. I also currently coach a club basketball team out of the Fox Valley area and our Stoughton Viking boys [ Junior Varsity 2] team.

Why did you choose to become a learning strategist?
I graduated with an elementary education degree, allowing me to teach [kindergarten through eighth grade]. Towards the end of my junior year of college, I picked up a part-time job as a special education assistant at an elementary school on the West side of Madison. I realized quickly that I found joy and passion in working with students that have different learning needs and styles. I am currently working toward getting my Special Education Certification to go along with my degree in teaching.

What are some of your favorite hobbies?
I enjoy traveling, fishing, wakesurfing, playing basketball, golfing, coaching, and walking our dogs in my free time. I am a big fan of anything that involves being active or outdoors. I spend most of my time on the golf course during the summer.

What was your favorite subject in school?
Sports Medicine was by far my favorite class in school. I took this class in high school and college. I have always had a love for athletics throughout my lifetime, [so] I found it interesting to learn more about exercise, nutrition, and ways to prevent injuries.

Any interesting facts about yourself?
I played four years of basketball at Edgewood College and was the team captain. I really enjoy coaching basketball and giving back to our youth.

Name: Rachel Gueths

How long have you been teaching?
This is my first year at SHS. [Before this year,] I was at River Bluff Middle School for three years.

What do you do at SHS?
[I am a] learning strategist in the [language arts] department and the assistant coach for varsity girls basketball and [I coach] middle distance group for track.

I enjoy helping others and making them feel successful [along with] building up their confidence. Just letting them know that they can do things if they set their mind to it.

What are some of your favorite hobbies?
I like to play basketball still. I also enjoy running [and working out] when I have free time; I like to try and stay in shape. I also like to read books.

Language arts. I’m so happy I’m in the LA department as a teacher.

Any interesting facts about yourself?
I played basketball and ran track at UW-La Crosse.

Name: Bailee Eggers

How long have you been teaching?
This is my first year.

What do you do at SHS?
Learning strategist in the science department and the assistant coach of girls’ track [and] our wheelchair athletes.

I have family members that have some special needs, and so I’ve just really connected with them. And it’s something that I enjoy because every day is different, I never know what to expect.

What are some of your favorite hobbies?
I like all things sports, cooking, baking, hiking, kayaking, and a lot of outdoor activities and crafts. I like to do it all.

I’d have to go with [English because] I wanted to be an English teacher [growing up.]

Any interesting facts about yourself?
I played college basketball for two years and tore my ACL. [I also] went to UW-Whitewater. I have my Bachelor of Science and Education.

These are just a few of the learning strategists here at SHS who have devoted their lives to helping others. They help students see learning from a different perspective and make them feel more comfortable about learning new things. It can be scary to not know how to do something that others find so easy, but it’s okay to have an extra helping hand when you’re stuck, something our learning strategists are here to help with.